Most people understand that appearance matters a lot in building the self-confidence of a person. You might also be aware of various treatments that are available today for improving your looks and getting rid of any natural imperfections that you may be born with. Having said that, teeth whitening is one of the easiest, fastest, and most common treatments available today to enhance appearances.
Your smile is undoubtedly your most striking feature. Not only does it put people around you at ease, but it also sends out a positive vibe. A smile is an important asset no matter what field you are in. People go to great lengths to protect as well as to enhance this part of their looks.
One such way to ensure a beautiful smile is teeth whitening. But what causes our teeth to lose their color or shine?
COMMON REASONS FOR DULL TEETH
- Bad oral hygiene.
- Use of tobacco or other substances with nicotine.
- An injury that causes the teeth to darken naturally.
- Consumption of coffee, tea, or red wine that stains tooth enamel.
- Aging, that wears out the outer tooth enamel exposing the yellowish dentin within.
Whitening can reverse the dullness caused by most of these factors, but it is important to consult a dentist to be sure. Remember that whitening will not work on dental fillings, crowns, or veneers.
HOW DOES TEETH WHITENING WORK?
If you tried to look up options for teeth whitening near you, you would likely be directed to a clinic for cosmetic dentistry. The process suggested might be one of these –
- Your dentist will perform chairside whitening which is a short treatment completed within an hour. They will use rubber shields to protect your gums before applying the whitening gel that clears away stains to give you brighter teeth.
- At-home whitening is when you prefer the comfort of being home for the treatment over the office of a dentist near you. With this method, your dentist will provide you with a custom-made whitening tray that you can use at home.
- Over-the-counter whitening gels have less concentration of bleaching agents than the ones used by your dentist. It is still advisable to run it by your dentist before using them to avoid any damage to your tooth enamel.
- Most commonly people go for a whitening toothpaste that has abrasive particles and bleach to scrub away dirt and stains. You should always look for one that is CDA approved.
HOW DOES BLEACHING DIFFER FROM WHITENING?
Dental bleach is a strong chemical that whitens teeth beyond their natural color, whereas whitening restores the original brightness and color of the teeth. Bleaching can potentially cause the tooth enamel to wear out making your teeth fragile. On the contrary, teeth whitening gels are famed for even making your teeth stronger! A dentist in Winnipeg would most likely recommend teeth whitening over bleaching.
People often underestimate the positive boost a beautiful smile leads to your overall personality. It is not to say that the other aspects of your looks are less remarkable, but if you think about it, a beautiful smile can easily steal focus from your imperfections such as uneven skin tone, bad hairstyling, or extra body bulk. A smile goes a long way in forming a lasting impression.
Stop procrastinating the care and treatment your oral asset needs and contact us at Garden Oak Dental Centre for quality services including teeth whitening in Winnipeg. Schedule your appointment today!